The Plaza Hotel

The Plaza Hotel Las Vegas New Mexico


My first night at a haunted hotel was the Plaza in Las Vegas New Mexico, I took my then finance on a trip to meet my Aunt who lived there and we decided to stay at the hotel. I loved it so much I have returned on multiple occasions.
The Plaza Hotel was built in 1881 by a group of businessmen, in 1882 Bryon T Mills an attorney came to Las Vegas and became the owner of the Plaza Hotel, it is said by some that his spirit haunts room 310.
My fiancĂ© ( now husband) and I spent the night there in April of 2008, our room was lovely decorated in antiques and looking very much like it must have when it opened over 100 years prior.  Our night was fairly uneventful, nothing out of the ordinary occurred with the exception the television cabinet being open when we went to bed and closed when we woke up.



In 2015 I had heard the hotel had been remodeled so when my sister called to say she wanted to take a sister's trip there to see our aunt I immediately told her yes and I would book us a room at the Plaza. I was not disappointed in the remodeling, the old charm was still there with antiques not only in the rooms but also in the hallways, the staff was friendly and our room was perfect.
The first night there I woke up to the smell of perfume, I recall thinking how strange that my sister had gotten up in the night to put on perfume, then as I came more alert I realized that my sister was sleeping, the next night I woke up thinking I could hear my sister in the bathroom, there was a distinct sound of movement coming from that area, but again upon looking my sister was sleeping.
One morning my sister went down to get us coffee, she had not been gone long and I heard the doorknob turning, thinking her hands would be full I went to open the door for her only to find no one there and the hallway empty. Numerous times on this trip one of our keys would not work, we would put them in the lock and they would not turn, it was never the same key, sometimes mine worked sometimes not and the same with hers.
Once night my sister was awoken by the sound of running up and down the hall outside our room, I did not hear it but she did and when she looked no one was there.

I once again returned to the Plaza in 2016 to attend my uncle's funeral, I spent the first night alone and my brother and sister in law joined me the second night for the remainder of our time.  The first night I was exhausted having taken a red eye flight from Alaska and then driving from Albuquerque airport to Las Vegas. I decided to go to bed early so I turned the tv down low to have some background noise and quickly fell asleep, sometime later I was jolted awake by the TV suddenly turned up loud enough that I think the neighbors would have complained had I had any. I turned off the tv and went back to bed only to wake up again in a few hours freezing cold, I checked the thermostat and it read 68, hardly cold for an Alaska girl.
Once my brother and sister in law joined me they to complained of waking up feeling like the room was extremely cold in the middle of the night and then having it return to a comfortable temperature.
I must say I continue to love to stay at the Plaza and have always felt welcome there by staff and whoever else is walking the hallways.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serbia

Historic Anchorage Hotel/Club Paris

Kilmainham Gaol Dublin Ireland